The Yellow Dog Blog

More meaningless ramblings from another guy you don't know

Thursday, September 21, 2006

I think it's gonna be the P22

I've been kicking around the idea of buying my first handgun for a while now and decided that I wanted a 22lr semi-automatic. They're a good choice as a first handgun as they're relatively inexpensive, produce minimal recoil and use inexpensive ammo. You can shoot all day long for just a few dollars. I'd use it to learn pistol shooting, general target shooting at the range and plinking for fun.

After doing the requisite research on the net, I'd narrowed the probables to three - a Ruger Mk III, a Buckmark Micro Standard and a Beretta Neos. So... I drove out to a Bass Pro Shop as they had all three guns (or variants thereof).

Having handled all three, the Ruger was eliminated because it just didn't feel comfortable in my hand. I then visited a range that rented a few 22lr pistols to try the Neos. I put 50 or so rounds through one with mixed results. The gun certainly feels good to shoot and is very accurate. I had a number of misfeeds using first quality ammo (Eley Tenex) but wasn't too worried. I'd learned that 22 pistols frequently require experimentation with different ammo to determine what they like to shoot best. What really nixed the Neos for me was the design - I had to use two hands to release the slide. Not good.

I took the Neos back to the counter where the friendly sales guy suggested that I try a Walther P22. This particular range isn't a Browning shop, and didn't have a Buckmark for me to try, so I figured, what the heck.

Long story short, I immediately fell in love with it. The Walther felt like it was made for my (small) hand. Everything was in exactly the right place. The gun is small compared to the three I had been thinking about (which I like) and consequently is a little less accurate, though I got pretty good groupings from twenty and even at fifty feet. I put a hundred rounds through it without one failure. It just shot like a dream.

I still felt that I should shoot a Buckmark, but afer calling all over town, I couldn't find one available to shoot, and don't know anyone who owns one. So, I checked out rimfirecentral.com and posted a few questions. But after doing the necessary due diligence, I've come to the realization that it's the Walther that I'm really lusting for.

So, after clearing a couple of financial questions in the next couple of weeks, I'll be buying myself an early Christmas present. More to follow once the pourchase is made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home